The internet is a wonderful tool and spending time online can be very productive for many people when it is used responsibly. When going online makes you feel more comfortable than being with your real-life friends or your partner, or you would rather spend time checking your mobile device than interacting with people face to face, you may have crossed the line into internet addiction. At this point, you are no longer controlling how much time you are spending online; your compulsion to be on the internet is controlling you.
Signs and Symptoms of Internet Addiction
- You lose track of the amount of time you are spending online.
- You are neglecting spending time with your spouse or partner, family and friends because of your online activities.
- You are being dishonest about the amount of time you are spending online.
- You find that you would rather spend time with your online “friends” and relationships than your real-life ones.
- Finishing tasks at home has become an issue due to your internet activities.
- You have or are experiencing physical symptoms like headaches, backaches, and carpal tunnel syndrome due to your online activities.
- Going online has become an outlet for when you feel sad, stressed, guilty or excited.
- You go without sleep so that you can spend more time online.
- You have tried to put a limit on your online activities but have been unsuccessful.
Internet Addiction and your Relationship
Spending too much time online can definitely have a negative effect on your relationship. Your spouse or partner will come to resent the time you are spending online, since you are not “in” your relationship giving it the time and attention that it needs to grow. He or she may have concerns that you are involved with cybercheating. If you are turning away from your partner, you are threatening your relationship, whether someone else is involved or not.
Find Help for Internet Addiction
The Dunes East Hampton OP offers an intensive outpatient treatment program in New York. We provide a personalized program for each client that includes therapies and services that will help you break free from your addiction and improve your personal relationships.
Call us today to find out more about how we can help you.