From online gaming to quizzes and social media, it has never been easier to find oneself entrapped in an internet addiction. Though abstinence often serves as a viable option for many other addictions, a number of people rely on the medium for education or work purposes. Instead of abstaining from the internet completely, our specialists recommend these tactics to help curb the cravings and behaviors associated with the compulsion.
Tips To Overcome Internet Addiction
- Accept the issue – In order to combat an addiction, addicts must first come to terms with the fact that there is a problem. Once an addiction is recognized, the repair process will be much smoother.
- Locate your triggers – There are typically events or actions that set off an internet addict. Anxiety, stress, or boredom are very common in this area. Once you have determined your triggers, do your best to eliminate them in different ways. For instance, if you use the internet most while you are anxious, find another outlet, such as exercise or an artistic endeavor.
- Keep a log of how often you use the internet – Most individuals don’t realize how much scroll time they devote daily. Record use habits each and every time you pop in. Log the date, start time, and end time of each session to gain a better understanding of your habits. You may be surprised just how much time is “wasted” online!
- Set goals for your off-time internet use; placing time restrictions on your sessions – An hour each night should be a proper starting point. Make sure to log off as soon as the alarm sounds. Keep in mind that you can always finish what you were doing the next day. As your mind begins to acclimate to an hour, begin scaling back the time in 10- to 15-minute increments.
- Focus on your health! – Internet addiction often robs users of their free time and hobbies once they’ve succumbed to the addiction. Create a list of activities that you enjoy. Next time you feel like checking your inbox, do one of those things instead! Play music, go for a jog, or take a drive somewhere new. This tactic will also help you spend more time with your family, which may have suffered neglect during your internet addiction.
Need Addiction Help?
If you or someone you know is struggling with an addiction, The Dunes East Hampton is the place to turn. Pick up the phone today and let our team of recovery specialists get you back on track toward the healthy lifestyle you’ve been missing. Call now! Help is waiting!